2008年12月15日 星期一

Reminiscence-1

Watching the TV news of snow storm in the Northeast, I feel relieved that we had left Chicago eight or nine years ago. At my age, I would certainly like to avoid shoveling snow or driving in icy weather. When we were young and vigorous, we could live in any place. I still remember how I answered Dr. Lloyd Old when I saw him in early 1970’ s while looking for a job. He asked me where did I want to live and work. I said if the work fit, I could go to Alaska . He nodded understandingly. It was such a long time ago that I do not remember when and how I got to visit him. It could be upon the suggestion of Dr. Cooperband who taught me the lymphocyte culture technique.


Reminiscing the days in Chicago , I thought of a funny exchange at my hospital in 1980’ s that still makes me laugh. There was a very smart, quick-witted and humorous chief resident, Dan Fisher, at our Columbus Hospital in Chicago . The Northwestern University Medical Center (NUMC) was trying to include this catholic hospital as one of its teaching hospitals. The house staff, the chief of medicine, and I, from NUMC, were assigned there to draw salaries. But eventually the negotiations failed. I was not interested in those administrative matters and never had any idea of how, why, and the potential consequences to us later.


The medical director and the chief of medical department of Columbus Hospital was Dr. Erl Dordal, a professor of clinical medicine in gastroenterology. He is highly intelligent, sharp as a needle, and can be very humorous. Sometimes his comments can be so funny that I could not stop giggling. He can grab complicated situation in an instant and seems to be able to think many steps ahead of you and then back to you within a fraction of a second. He was very nice and protective of his men.


At that time, almost weekly, the chief resident would arrange a drug company to host noon conferences with outside speakers to talk on some subjects. The drug rep would provide simple lunch and small gift items to attract residents to attend. The conference would go on while we munch on those lunches with drinks. The topics discussed were on various clinical issues and usually very useful. They were not necessarily related to the company’s products, but the company would distribute drug brochures.


One day, after the conference, three of us met in the hall way. Dr. Dordal did not attend the conference, and asked Dan:


“Noon conference?” the director asked softly with an inquisitive look. He did not want to be involved in those company-related matters, I supposed, but still wanted to be kept informed.


Dan answered, “Yes, by so-and-so company”.


He asked, “What was it?”.


Instantaneously, Dan replied:


“Pizza and penlight”.


I burst out laughing and Dr. Dordal broke up grinning. Every time I recalled this episode, I could not help laughing and also admired Dan’s fast and humorous response.


I wonder where Dan is working now. And Dr. Dordal, who must be over 80 years old, from a web search, seems to be associated with the University of Chicago . I wish I could call them and say hi.


 


10 則留言:

  1. 整篇我只看的懂"Pizza and penlight".
    您好像有說過這個故事.

    回覆刪除
  2. 妳有空時要一個一個英文字查,死記一句,記多了,會應用了,就是學會英文了。妳不能放棄英文。
    這篇我剛給我的弟弟修繕英文,結果改了很多。在台灣十八年,英文少說少看,程度低了。不過可能本來就不高。我也要努力練習我的英文,所以開始有些文章用英文寫。

    回覆刪除
  3. 那我可以印下來查英文嗎?
    其實我昨天有用奇摩翻譯整段翻過了.
    可是她們內容翻的很奇怪.
    沒想到教授還需要把自己的文章給家人改過.
    您很追求完美喔!
    PS: 因為您的弟弟長年在美國, 所以您認為他的英文比您好是嗎?
    我以為您已經很棒了呢!
    我會在努力的!
    weir~

    回覆刪除
  4. 我的部落格文章誰都可以印出去。「我會再努力」
    我弟弟曾經是半專業的翻譯員,中翻英。所以他的英文很好。

    回覆刪除
  5. 教授:好喜歡這篇文章。 It reminds me of my old days.

    回覆刪除
  6. 妳已前和我聯絡過了,但已經忘了是因為什麼文章聯絡,請問妳是誰?
    妳說說妳的old days吧!
    設立部落格的人似乎很多都不願用真名或露臉。

    回覆刪除
  7. 教授 我是碧芬啦 哈哈

    回覆刪除
  8. 哦!對了! 就是記憶差了。妳說說妳有什麼old days?
     

    回覆刪除
  9. 就是在高醫時常常有廠商來演講呀 或者是產品說明會 都有小禮物 或者東西可以吃 這也是由總醫師負責耶   教授請問Lloyd這個字的發音跟Loyd一樣嗎 兩個L在一起好奇怪

    回覆刪除
  10. LLoyd Old 是免疫學界巨人。四十年前就展現才能的樣子。我都不知道他是做了什麼。可以看Goodle查,他現在是在各處收集獎賞。
    藥商的conference是相當令人懷念。美國感染症學會微生物學會年會也是很有趣。

    回覆刪除